- Be sure to dress your child properly - warm clothes for cold days (the bus could be late) and bright clothes on dark, rainy days so the child is easily seen.
- Be sure your child leaves the house early enough to get to the bus stop on time.
- Be sure your child knows what to do if he or she misses the bus.
- Safe ridership habits begin at home, and parents are the best teachers.
- If your student is in kindergarten, it is your responsibility to be at the bus stop to receive the student from the driver or to have a responsible adult there in your place. The driver should have direction, in writing, from you as to who is allowed (or not allowed) to take your kindergartener from the bus.
PENNSYLVANIA'S SCHOOL BUS STOPPING LAW
- When you meet or overtake a stopped school bus with red signal lights flashing and stop arm extended, you MUST STOP.
- When you approach an intersection where a stopped bus with red signal lights flashing and stop arm extended, you MUST STOP.
- You MUST STOP at least ten (10) feet away from the school bus.
- You MUST WAIT until the red lights have stopped flashing and the stop arm has been withdrawn before moving.
- DO NOT MOVE until all the children have reached a place of safety.
- You MUST STOP on roadways with painted lines.
- You MUST STOP on roadways with singing dividers. (i.e. parts of Route 263, York Road )
- Drivers on separate roadways do not have to stop on a highway with clearly defined dividing sections or physical barriers separating the roadways. This only applies when the school bus is on the opposite side of the road. WHEN IN DOUBT, STOP.
If you are convicted of violating Pennsylvania 's School Bus Stopping Law, you will receive all the following penalties:
1. 60-day Driver's License Suspension
2. Five (5) points on your driving record
3. $100.00 fine
LAW FOR ENTERING A SCHOOL BUS
Parents are only authorized to enter and ride a school bus when they are chaperoning a school-sponsored trip and are approved by the corresponding school.
If parents have problems they would like to discuss with school bus drivers, they are to call the schools and schedule appointments.
School bus drivers cannot hold conversations at bus stops since this can create dangerous conditions taking the drivers' attention away from the safety of the children and the traffic situation. This can also cause a delay in the drivers' schedule and tie up traffic, causing unnecessary problems.
If the parents want to deliver a note to the school bus driver, they may give the note to their child to give to the driver.
Thank you for your cooperation.