Here are some suggestions for working with Entering (Level 1) and Beginning (Level 2) ESL students:
- Modify content information to the language level of ELLs. Focus on key vocabulary and concepts.
- Ask yes/no and either/or questions.
- Accept one or two work responses.
- Build vocabulary using pictures.
- Use pictures and realia to support questions. Concrete items and ideas are best at this stage.
- Provide listening activities (books on tape or teacher taped materials).
- When teaching elementary age ELLs, use simple books with predictable text. Patterned texts are the best.
- Begin to foster writing in English through labeling and short sentences. Use a frame to scaffold writing. Pattern writing again with books.