How do I know I will be a successful online learner?
Please note learning virtually through the computer is a very different experience than what you have in a classroom. To be successful in online learning requires a different set of skills and abilities. Online learning also requires considerable self-discipline.
Please critique your skills, abilities, and motivation for seeking out online learning. The following are a collection of characteristics that will help you to determine if you share similar traits of successful online learners.
- Good at typing/keyboarding?
- Self-motivated and self-disciplined?
- Aware that online education is time consuming?
- Aware that online learning gets easier after you get used to it?
- Able to "see the big picture" and breakdown your work accordingly?
- Work from written directions?
- Communicate well through writing?
- Think ideas through before you write/respond?
- Learn without the face-to-face interactions found in traditional classrooms?
- Accept critical thinking and decision making as part of the learning process?
- Complete assignments on time?
- Set goals and take responsibility
- Have a learning style that is conducive to online learning
- Know your technical skills and technical limitations.
- Participate regularly?
- Apply what you learn?
- Log on to your course every day?
- Set aside a workspace to aid in studying.
- Reach out to teachers immediately when having a problem?
- Print up lectures and reading materials when necessary?
- Have patience and backup plans in case of technical difficulties?