Work Permits

  • The East Stroudsburg Area School District issues Pennsylvania work permits to all minors who reside in the school district. To obtain a PA work permit from the school district:

    1. The student must be planning to work in Pennsylvania. Other states, including New York and New Jersey, do not have reciprocal work arrangments and a work permit must be obtained from the school district where the employer is located in that state.
    2. The student must must be a resident of the East Stroudsburg Area School District. If the student is not a school district resident, he or she should obtain a work permit from the school district in which they reside. Note: If the student is living out of state and working within the East Stroudsburg Area School District, the school district can issue a work permit.
    3. The student will need to come to the main office of the high school which they attend, or would attend, and obtain the proper forms. The student will need to produce the following documents before obtaining a work permit:

      - Original or copy of birth certificate, baptismal certificate, passport or photo driver's license.

      - Medical (physical) exam form signed by a physician stating that the student is physically able to work. The Medical exam form must not be older than one (1) year.

      - Form filled out and signed by employer stating the type of work, days and hours to be worked, and the position to be held. This must be signed by the employer for final approval. 
    4. A parent or guardian must appear before the issuer of the work permit.

    IMPORTANT! The student must be present when the work permit is issued and a signature of a parent or guardian must be executed at the high school main office at the time of issuance or the signature must be notarized on an attestation document. This is a state mandate.

    For further information, please call the main office of the high school which the student attends.

    For further information on U.S. child labor laws, please visit